From:
Roger Sandilands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jun 2015 17:56:44 +0000
Here is my take on Steve Kate's asking whether, when "wealth" is translated as "richesse", the French would think of opulence and Versailles rather than pin factories:
In his posthumously published The Science of Political Economy (1897), Henry George reviews the definitions of wealth given by some 24 writers, from Smith to Marshall, and devoted the whole of Book II (21 chapters) to the meaning of wealth in political economy.
Henry George notes that Book III of Adam Smith’s Wealth of Nations, was titled “Of the Different Progress of Opulence in Different Nations”. But George also noted that in both cases Smith’s emphasised "nations". His key concern was not with individual wealth or opulence but with the combined product of labour working on Land. For the individual, land was wealth, but land itself was no part of the wealth of nations. Of itself, ownership of land involved a mere transfer of ownership – a transfer payment – not an accretion of the Physiocrats’ “produit net”.
In the 1770s, France’s finance minister ARJ Turgot’s vainly advocated the “impôt unique” but his warnings of the dangers in allowing the rent of land to accrue not to producers but to a narrow landowning aristocracy, epitomised in the opulence of Versailles, went unheeded. Bloody Revolution followed.
Like the Physiocrats, Smith noted that "the landlord loves to reap where he has not sown" and saw the wealth of nations as the nation’s produit net; so it was no accident that the pin factory was introduced from the very start of his magnum opus to highlight the huge importance of the division of productive labour and exchange in advancing the wealth of nations.
But “the division of labour is limited by the size of the market”, hence the importance of free exchange. Or (since I can never refrain from citing Allyn Young on the potentially self-sustaining nature of growth): “The division of labour is limited by the division of labour… a useful truism.”
For Smith, this economic growth just as surely comes from the mutual gains in wealth arising from the free exchanges between country and town - farming and manufacturing - as discussed in WN Book III Ch. 1, “Of the natural progress of opulence”.

- Roger Sandilands