From:
[log in to unmask] (Warren J Samuels)
Date:
Dear colleagues:

I see that several people have used the network to solicit information.  I
now do so.  I am editing the late John P. Henderson's biography of Ricaardo
and, alas, like the rest of us, John was imperfect in his rendering of
citations; and there are some which I have been unable to track down.  If
you can help, I would be most appreciative and be happy to give credit where
credit is due.  Can you identify for me the following?

1. Samuel Johnson, The Universal Factor, 1756.

2. Edward Walford, The County Families of the United States.  4th ed.
London, 1868.  Walford did write on local materials in England; but not US;
and I cannot seem to identify this particular book in any edition.

3. Quote attributed to Erik Erikson, with 1958 date:  "[E]ach youth must
forge for himself some central perspective and direction, some working unity
. . . he must detect some meaningful resemblance between what he has come to
see in himself and what his sharpened awareness tells him others judge and
expect him to be."  I have been unable to locate this in the "obvious"
Erikson sources.

4. Horner to J. A. Murray, 29 November 1810, with words "may stand for a
while unsolved" and "I had dismissed the subject  . . . good many questions
at rest . . . Bosanquet's dexterous but somewhat unfair pamphlet . . .
factss are unexplained."

5. A quotation attributed to McCulloch:  "To say thatr commodities are
raised in price, is the same thing as to say, that money is lowered in
relative value; for it is by commodities that the relative value of gold is
estimated. ..... The extensive use of paper money does not alter this
question; for paper money conforms , or ought to conform, to the value of
gold; and, therefore, its value is influenced by such causes only as
influence the value of that metal."

Any help will be appreciated.

Warren Samuels
Michigan State University