From:
"Womack, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Dec 2010 09:41:52 -0500
Besomi's comments make much sense to me, for whatever this is worth. As an outsider, I have learned most of what I think I understand about the history of economics from the storia del pensiero economico, and the closest approach to the Italian that I can find in English, though so far (as I know) it does not (yet) consider economics, is the new (social) history of science.
It's my impression that French, German, and Spanish studies have been much more like Italian (in several cases evidently under Italian influence) than like U.S. American studies.
Maybe one way to see the difference is to distinguish between (1) trying to understand and explain the development, logic, and meaning of past thinking about relations of production and exchange, thinking that was important or significant in the past, whether significant or not for the present, and (2) trying to find the sources in the past for getting at perfect, exclusive sets of incontestable, imperishable, eternal truths about production and exchange, or only exchange.