From:
上宮 智之(uemiya) <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2017 13:04:54 +0000
Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to inform you about the arrival of new materials on the history of economics. Scholars interested in Alfred Marshall may be especially thrilled.

On 9th March 2017, as per the will of Prof. Kanichi Minakata (Kobe University, Japan), Prof. Shoichiro Uemiya (emeritus professor at Kobe University and my father) and I visited Cambridge and donated an old red book to the Marshall Library.

This book is thought to have been owned by Marshall as it includes a part of Marshall's "Principles of Economics" and many handwritten annotations. We don't know why, but, for nearly a century, Kobe University professors privately owned this book, namely, Prof Yasaburo Sakamoto (1894-1981) and then Prof. Minakata (1923-1985). Librarians in the Marshall Library had identified these handwritings as Marshall's.

For further details, please check the link below.
http://marshlib.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/the-return-of-alfred-marshalls-book-v.html

* "Prof. Tsunao Miyajima (1884-1965) who translated the Memoirs of Alfred Marshall (1925) into Japanese. " (below the third photo) should read as "Prof. Tsunao Miyajima (1884-1965) who translated the "Memorials of Alfred Marshall" (1925) into Japanese."

We hope this artifact stimulates further research on Alfred Marshall.

Best wishes,
Tomoyuki Uemiya

*Academic Visitor,
   Nuffield College, Oxford (Sep 2016 to Aug 2017)
*Associate Professor, Faculty of Economics,
   Osaka University of Economics