From:
[log in to unmask] (R. Morey Porter)
Date:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 17 May 1995 12:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: R. Morey Porter <[log in to unmask]> To: "Ross B. Emmett" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: coercion and economic theory

Hello Ross,

On Wed, 17 May 1995, Ross B. Emmett wrote:

> Just to bring the tangent on Canadian/U.S. differences back on line with
> the discussion Mary Schweitzer initiated, perhaps one can ask if there are
> significant difference in the way Canadian economists view government
> activity.

I think your points about Innis are appropot.  Consider also Anthony
Scott, and his positions on the role of government:  interventionist (in
the presence pareto relevant externalities), but juridictionally
efficient, accountable, limited and discrete.  There would also be a
considerable literature in the Ag.Econ. discourse -- but, I would think
the influence of U.S. schooling would tend to a homogeneity in position.
Consider also that the discourse observed in the two main rags: CJE and
CPP differs markedly from their (admittedly senior) American counterparts,
AER and JPE--at least I perceive there to be a more robust defense of
mixed economy in the Canadian lit.  Could this result from the
dependant S.O.E. perspective of most Canadian economists, and an
ingrained political philosophy of regional equity?

regards,

richard m porter <[log in to unmask]>
forest economics and policy analysis
university of british columbia                    tel: 604/228-8818 (h)
RESECON admin <[log in to unmask]>        fax: 604/822-6970 (w)

Accuse not nature, she hath done her part; do thou thine. - John Milton
       Take Chances!  Make Mistakes!  Get Messy! - Miss Frizzle
                Va, pensiero, sull'ali dorate! - Verdi