From:
Thibault Le Texier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 2009 13:13:45 -0400
Dear David and dear collegues,

i would recommend two of his lectures recently translated in english:
FOUCAULT Michel, Sécurité, territoire,
population, Cours au Collège de France,
1977-1978, Gallimard/Seuil, « Hautes études »,
Paris : 2004, 435 p. / Security, territory,
population : lectures at the Collège de France, 1977-78, 2007, XXVI-417
FOUCAULT Michel, Naissance de la Biopolitique,
Cours au Collège de France, 1978-1979, Paris :
Gallimard/Seuil, « Hautes études », 2004, 365 p.
/ The birth of biopolitics : lectures at the Collège de France, 1978-1979, 346

In the first one he makes a genealogy of
political economy (cameralism, mercantilism and
physiocrats mainly) and how it helps shape a new state rationality.
In the second one, his lectures of the year
78-79, his studies the origins of neoliberalism,
that is the "ordoliberalism" and the Fribourg
school, the constitution of the German state
after WWII and the Chicago school (Becker,
Schultz, Mincer), with some interesting ideas
(and very exploited nowadays) about
"self-entrepreneurship" and this "corporations'
society" where everyone is invited to think about
himself as a company; he also follows his thought
on political economy, which he and describes as
"a sort of general thinking about organization,
distribution and limitation of powers in a society" (my translation, p.15)

According to me, these texts are more interesting
than what you can find in Les Mots et les choses,
written twenty years before, where he sketches
the well known shift of paradigm in economy from
production to circulation in the XVIIIe century.

Moreover, i dont know if it may be of any
interest to your group, but I tend to think that
Foucault proposes an analyse of power applicable
both to the political and the economic fields --
mostly by focusing on government practices rather
than on the state, and analysing power from a
technical and relationist point of view rather
than from the classical juridic and state-owned
one. As he states in Security, territory...: "The
introduction of economy within the political
exercise is that I believe will be the key issue
of the government."(my translation, p.98) The
concept of governmentality, which he introduces
and develops in these lectures, seems for example
rather close in its meaning to our invading
"governance", both standing on a line between
politics and economics. On this last point, I
recommend the very thoughtful On Human Conduct,
by Michael Oakeshott (I plan to write a paper on
that topic, trying to show the influence of the
management litterature on Foucault's thinking
about government. If anyone is interested by a discussion...)

Hoping this will help you a little,
Cheers
Thibault Le Texier