Date:
Dr. Schweitzer asks, "When did economists first equal government
intervention with the use of force?"

Weber defined the state as the institution in society that claims the right
to use "legitimate" force in its dealings with other members of society.  I
use a version of this idea and state that the state is the institution that
"authorizes" the "legitimate" use of force.  The reason I emphasize
"authorize" is because I want to allow for the Nozick argument (originally
taken from Rothbard et. al.) that private defense agencies are possible.
In my opinion Nozick's private defense agencies would still require some
process in which it is decided when the use of coercion is legitimate and
that process or set of institutions would be the state.  Hence, the
anarachism discussed by these particular libertarians is a pseudo-anarchism
since the main question of moral legitimacy still must be bridged.

Prior Weber I would pick Hobbes as the "economist" (and I do consider
Hobbes an economist in the sense of Mandeville and Smith) who first saw the
state as prohibiting absolute liberty by the use of the threat and exercise
of coercion.

I am sure that careful research might turn up non-Western sources of
earlier vintage (I suspect Chinese philosophers would have recognized what
was so obvious about the state power under which they lived).

A more interesting question is when an option placed before a rational
utility maximizing action can be described as "coercive."   If I promise to
give you a job that pays you 10 x your next-best opportunity but only on
the condition that you first commit some outrageous act, am I coercing you
to commit that act?

Best wishes

L. Moss