From:
[log in to unmask] (Peter J. Boettke)
Date:
Just a quick thought.  I would argue that the main drawback to
history of economic thought as traditionally taught is the dominance
of a Whig theory of the history of ideas.  Thus, I think it is
important to convey to students that the history of economic thought
is vitally important for today's debates.  For my PhD course, for
example, I teach the course as a series of debates since 1870s and in
fact attempt to show that the way these debates were often resolved
was questionable from a certain perspective -- thus the debate is
still very much alive.  Or to use Kenneth Boulding's wonderful
phrase, the debates are part of our extended present.

I start the class with a heavy dose of contraWhig: Boulding's great
HOPE paper "After Samuelson, Who Needs Adam Smith?", Jacob Viner's
graduation address to Brown, "A Modest Plea for a Return to
Scholarship in Graduate Education", Mitchell's introduction to Types
of Economic Theory, and Karen Vaughn's recent HES presidential
address.  This is to contrast with George Stigler's position or even
the position of Mark Blaug (the rational reconstructivist position).
If history of economic thought is viewed as _directly_ relevant to
today's theoretical disputes, then it takes on an entirely new
meaning to students.

On the undergraduate level, I try to mix history of thought with
economic history to show how economists were responding to social
issues in various ways.  The book by Todd Bucholz, _New Ideas from
Dead Economists_ is a nice supplement, and of course Heilbronner's
book is great in this regard as well.  I have also found that the
Breit and Ransom book, _The Academic Scribblers_ works quite well
with the students.

NYU just abolished History of Economic Thought as a requirement for
the PhD. We have quite a number of faculty who teach in the area or
related areas ... Bruno Stein, James Becker, Israel Kirzner, Mario
Rizzo and myself.  Nevertheless, NYU was one of the last remaining
PhD programs to retain the history of thought requirement ... now it
is gone.  The main argument offered were: (1) the opportunity cost of
studying the history of doctrine is too high and (2) all the good
ideas from the past are incorporated already in the present. Thus,
history of thought is a hobby, but not a worthy vocation.  That is
our problem I would conjecture professionally -- as this is the
common idea.

Why not present the history of thought as it is dealt with in
political science departments?  History of Economic Thought _is_
Economic Theory, just as the history of political thought is commonly
refered to as Political Theory.  It seems to me that the European
Journal of History of Economic Thought has moved in the right
direction by taking a very strong contra-Whig position.