From:
[log in to unmask] (Yuri Tulupenko)
Date:

Mathew Forstater wrote:

> ...the methodology of Holmes and Dupin should be taken seriously.

Soshichi Uchii of Kyoto University, Japan, argues that there is a close
affinity between the logical methods of Sherlock Holmes and W.S.Jevons.
Uchii's paper on "Sherlock Holmes and Probabilistic Induction" can be found
at

http://www.bun.kyoto-u.ac.jp/~suchii/holmes_1.html

Mat also wrote:

> It should be stated, however, that Poe emphasizes the importance of
> imagination over mathematics, and that the best analysis combines the
> two, wouldn't you say Yuri?

What you probably have in mind is Dupin's description of the Minister: "As
poet *and* mathematician, he would reason well; as mere mathematician, he
could not have reasoned at all..." (And Dupin is a spokesman for Poe's
views, isn't he?)

I believe the economics content of _The Purloined Letter_ hasn't been
exhausted by the discussion in the present thread. IMHO the story is also
relevant to the development of oligopoly models (cf. Dupin's discourse on a
reasoner playing against simpletons of varying degrees).

Yuri