From:
[log in to unmask] (Yuri Tulupenko)
Date:
Fri Nov 10 13:15:47 2006
Mario Vitale wrote:
> I would like to add, from my experience in both fields, that science is in
>some way mainly a search for 'truth', art is mainly a search for 'beauty'.
>
>   But in some cases scientists can see some 'beauty' in their theories,
>and artists can see some 'truth' in their art.

A citation from another author who, too, had experience in both fields:

"During my years of  teaching  literature  at  Cornell  and
elsewhere  I demanded of my students the passion of science and
the patience of poetry. As an artist and scholar I  prefer  the
specific detail to the generalization, images to ideas, obscure
facts  to  clear  symbols, and the discovered wild fruit to the
synthetic jam".

- Vladimir Nabokov's 1972 interview See
http://www.lib.ru/NABOKOW/Inter01.txt

Yuri Tulupenko