From:
Yuri Biondi <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Jan 2022 14:52:10 +0100
Dear Holden

I would not attribute the origin to the norm of shareholder wealth
maximisation to Milton Friedman's famous NYT article

That article talks about increasing profit by the business firm, and the
notion of business profit is not the same as that of shareholder wealth

The latter requires a specific focus on shareholder control over the
business firm which was prompted by Fama, Jensen and Meckling in the
1970s. It relates to a peculiar theory of the firm

Other peculiar theories include property rights theory by Grossman and
Hart, and neo-institutional one by Williamson

 From an accounting perspective, that norm comes back to the proprietary
view on the firm, which was overcome by the entity theory in the first
two third of XX century

This article may help for the theory of the firm:

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2231340

And this one on accounting theories:

https://doi.org/10.2202/2152-2820.1018

With my best wishes for your research work in 2022

Yuri Biondi

--

Yuri Biondi
Cnrs - IRISSO, University Paris Dauphine PSL

http://yuri.biondi.free.fr/

http://ssrn.com/author=394847