From:
若田部昌澄 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2017 22:39:10 +0900
Dear Colleagues,

Just pointing out a typo.

When Professor Ikeo wrote The Society for the History of Economic
Thought (SHJET), she must have meant The Society for the History of
_Japanese_Economic Thought (SHJET), as the acronym clearly suggests.
SHJET is different from The Japanese Society for the History of
Economic Thought (JSHET).

with best,

Masazumi

> On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 12:22:13 +0900
>  Aiko Ikeo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> Dear Colleagues,
>>

>> The Society for the History of Economic Thought (SHJET)
>> at the annual General Assembly has approved the member participants
>> and their presentation tiles for the academic conference to be held
>> in Jinan, Shandon province on September 15, 2017.
>>
>> (There will be no additional participants from the SHJET.)
>>

>> Here is my preliminary translation of the project and presentation
>>themes.
>>

>> The Shandon Branch of the (Chinese) Association of Japanese Learning
>>and
>> SHJET will co-organize the fifth High-end Forum on Japanese Learning
>> 'The Chinese-Japanese Economic Cooperation and Its Outlook under the
>>New
>> Situation.'
>> (The Association of Japanese Learning has many Japanese language
>>instructors
>> as members.)
>>

>> Thirteen papers will be given in Japanese and two will be in
>>Chinese.
>>

>> Plenary session:
>>
>> 'Confucianism and Modernization in Japan'
>> 'The Thought of "Governing the World and Saving the People"'
>>

>> Preliminary parallel or symposium sessions:
>>
>> 'On the Confucian Network in the Edo (Tokugawa) Era'
>>
>> 'The Economic Ethics of the Bushi (samurai warriors)'
>>
>> 'The Bushido and the Governance by the Bushi in the Early Modern
>>Period:
>> Soko Yamaga and his Contemporaries'
>>
>> 'The Conception of National Interest in the Late Edo Era'
>>
>> 'The Etymology and Semantic Changes of "keizai
>> (Economy and Economics)" in China and Japan'
>>
>> 'The Managerial Philosophy of Entrepreneurs'
>>
>> 'Yukichi Fukuzawa on the Trade with China'
>>
>> 'Tameyuki Amano (1861-1938) and Modernization in Japan:
>> International Trade, Invention and Technical Progress'
>>
>> 'The Chinese and Korean Agriculture as Seen by the Japanese Experts'
>> 'How Japanese Economists Comprehended China:
>> The Case of Kashiwa Yusuke'
>>
>> 'The Economic Thought of a Chinese Scholar
>> (Shu Shoen-I am sorry that I do not know the Chinese pinyin.)'
>>

>> Special lectures to be given to the students in the departments of
>>the
>> Japanese language:
>>
>> 'The Support for Chinese Students in Japan by Eiichi Shibusawa
>> (businessman)'
>>
>> 'The Economic Thought and Policy during the Reconstruction Period
>>after
>> 1945'
>>

>> Thank you for supporting our international project.
>>

>> It seems me that the Japanese economic thinkers of early modern
>>period
>> (who now receive attention by historians of economic thought) took
>> policy-oriented and empirical approaches to the understanding of
>>economic
>> phenomena,
>> and resorted to observation and the collection of economic numbers
> [...]

Masazumi Wakatabe
Professor of Economics
Faculty of Political Science and Economics
Waseda University
Visiting Fellow (from March 2017 to March 2018)
Center on Japanese Economy and Business
Columbia Business School
Blog: http://www.forbes.com/sites/mwakatabe/