From:
[log in to unmask] (Warren J Samuels)
Date:
I have enjoyed the two communications from Ross Emmett an Mayo Toruno.  The
distinction between history of economic thought (broader than but inclusive
of the history of economic theory, but their relationship is another matter)
and the history of economics is indeed very important.

The history of economic thought/theory is part of intellectual history; the
history of ideas.  The history of economics is, as Emmett says, part of the
history of science -- with science an organized, social activity and
therefore subject to the kind of inquiry which can be devoted to such
activity, e.g., the sociology of science, professionalization, linguistic
communities, and so on -- in contrast to envisioning and discussing science
solely as a mode to Truth.

Notice that focusing on the history of economic thought does not necessarily
imply an internalist approach; economic thought can be and often is
influenced by external factors.  Similar, focusing on the history of
economics does not necessarily imply an externalist approach; the sociology
(for example) is the small group sociology internal to/constitutive of the
discipline -- which is part of what Stigler included when he wrote of
interests internal to the minds of theorists.

The two need not be distinct in practice.  Inquiry into the history of
economic thought can encompass examination of the sources of ideas; and
inquiry into the history of economics can encompass such a notion that ideas
have histories of their own.

For whom are we writing; what are our goals?  I shall not presume to tell
others what they goals should be.  Each historian has to work that out for
themself.  I will say that doing history of economic thought and history of
economics are ventures valuable in themselves.  If such enriches/changes the
conversation within the larger economicss community, then fine.  But that
need not be one's goal.  If others want to ignore your work, that is their
problem, not yours.

Ross writes that conflict within economics has not reached the point where
the community splits and separate conversations take place.   Alas, I think
he is wrong, for several reasons:  (1) The huge growth of output and the
scarcity of time; it simply is impossible to not specialize, which means
separate conversations.  (2) Members of different schools to engage in
largely (I do not say wholly) separate conversations; partly because of
scarcity of time and partly, giving effect to one's exclusionary
preconceptions.  Etc.

Some of the foregoing indeed raises the question posed by Margaret Schabas,
whether historians would be better off in history of science etc.
departments.  Again, I think that each person has to determine this for him-
or herself.  Personally I can see the advantages and disadvantages both
ways; but their identification and weight is a matter of personal
subjectivity (I make the same argument about cost benefit analysis in
general).  Included in the reckoning are personal identities (most
historians of economics/economic thought think of themselves are economists
first, and often work in other subfields in economics; and, inter alia,
differentiaal salary scales.

I hope that the foregoing is helpful.  Now, as Toruno says, I have to get
back to (other) work -- all of which I consider much fun (so much for the
marginal disutility of labor theory!).

Warren J. Samuels
Michigan State University