From:
Humberto Barreto <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2011 17:43:41 -0500
Fred Lee wrote:
> I find the appearance of this job advert on this listserv a bit odd.  In particular, unless I am mistaken, neither the A or B list of journals contain any journal in the history of economic thought/history of economics.  If publishing in such journals is not sufficient to gain the position advertised, then why is the advert being sent to this listserv.  In addition, the A classification of journals is all about mainstream economics, while the B classification of journals is, but 3-4 journals, also about mainstream journals.  However, many of members of this listserv are much broader/different from the mainstream economics.  So this advert may appear discriminatory to them.  Finally, this advert supports a paper coming out in the CJE that shows the growing hegemony of mainstream economics in Italian higher education and the consequence discrimination against non-mainstream/heterodox economists.  The question is, "does SHOE support this?"

I guess as moderator, I read the post too quickly and assumed that the
position would welcome applicants with a history of economics or
broader background. Perhaps I should have asked Prof. Parisi if my
interpretation was true or not and invited a line or two on this
point.

Maybe Prof. Parisi can reply to the list and let us know if historians
of economics are welcome to apply?

Humberto Barreto