From:
[log in to unmask] (Ross B. Emmett)
Date:
I am not sure who originally prepared these remarks, but the message as it
is presented below was passed on to me by Paul Wendt, who runs the Kress
Seminar (see the accompanying message about that seminar).  I thought
members of the list might be interested, and will also save this info for
inclusion in the archival files.

Ross

                              Kress Library

     Until December 1989, the Kress Library (economic books and
pamphlets, especially 16-18th centuries) was open to the public,
housed in a suite of the Baker Library building on the Harvard
Business School campus, with its own librarian, Ruth Rogers. You
may recall that Ruth Rogers and the Kress library were the
on-site hosts of the 1987 HES conference when Donald Walker was
the program chairman. In those days, we met after-hours in the
Kress library reading room, with Ruth Rogers acting as hostess,
and this letter would have come to you on Kress Library/ HBS
stationery.

     In December 1989, HBS announced new plans for the Kress
suite of rooms, a reorganization of special collections, Ruth
Rogers resigned, and the library was closed to the public. To my
knowledge, the books have not been moved, and plans for the rooms
are in legal or bureaucratic limbo.

     Today --as of spring 1993-- one uses books from the Kress
collection in the Archives/Special Collections room of the main
Baker Library stacks. That room houses the Kress catalog; a
special collections librarian fetches specific Kress books at the
user's request. The room is devoted mainly to librarians' work;
for most of the day on my one visit, I was the only user of all
special collections, with two librarians. The room is neither so
pleasing to the eye nor so quiet as the old carpeted Kress
library (some advice: take ear plugs). I knew what few books I
wanted to read, so I did not put the librarian to a vigorous
workout or the system to a severe test. The two locations are
quite close as the neutrino flies, but a 15 minute round trip as
the librarian strolls --separated by an elevator plus numerous
stairs, the main circulation room, and the spacious main lobby of
the building.

The Kress Seminar retains the name.

Prepared by Paul Wendt