Date:
  I too am sorry to hear that NYU has dropped the HET grad
requirement.  At SU the requirement is in place, but it is constantly at
risk for the reasons cited at NYU.
  I agree with Richard Holt's notion about competing paradigms or
maybe alternaive visions would capture my idea better.  When I start
my grad HET course I tell the students that one of my objectives is to
make them think skeptically (NOT cynically) about the vision they are
mastering in their PhD program.  Seems like skeptically, not
cynically or religiously (a la Leijonhufvud's "Life Among the Econ"), is
the way we should always think about a received doctrine.
  Anywy, I want to make the case that the current mainstream is wrong
or right.  I want to challenge them to consider that there are
alternative visions based on different frames of thinking (usually
distinguished by different assumtions (explicit, implicit, and tacit) and
language) - and that the current mainstream should be considered in
light of its assumptions/language; and how that assumptive/language
base tends to lead to a theoretical "enlightement" that casts light AND
shadows (a la Dobb).  The real question is not the polar cases: Is it a
good or bad; right or wrong theory?  It is rather:  How distorting or
insightful is the vision it offers us, and how can its distortions be
diminished and its insights be extended by expanding, changing,
adapting its assumptions and/or language?  HET offers
alternative visions (assumptions/languages) to consider.
  I tell them what I think about this, but obviously these are adults who
can decide for themselves.  But who can make such a choice
(other assumptions/languages) where it is never offered? Offering that
choice is the importance of the PhD HET course in my opinion.
Jerry Evensky
Syracuse University