Date:
Hello HESers.
  We will be convening very shortly.  By now your paper is in the
hands of your discussant, so please take a little time to attend to that
other dimension of scholarly work that is our common responsibility:
communicating ideas, perspectives, insights, ... to a new generation.
  There is no such thing as one right way to teach.  There are many
right ways - and we can learn a lot that will make our own way
better by seeing examples of what works for others in their classes.
This cross fertilization of ideas - as it is in our research - is the
source of creative growth in our teaching.
  Jim has offered us a wonderful opportunity to do such sharing at
the HES conference by arranging for the display of posters about
teaching ideas:  "One thing that works for me".  So far the response to
this opportunity has been less than inspiring.  BUT, it's not too late.
In these last days before you leave, get a poster board, print a
title on it, and paste on a description of something you do in your
class that works for you.  Don't be shy, don't be modest.  It need
not be fancy: It's not the junior high science fair, no one is going to
grade you.  Just share one idea.  Everyone will appreciate your
willingness to nurture the rest of us.  Just share one idea.  If enough
of us participate, the gains can be quite significant.  The thing that
makes the HES so special is that it is a very nurturing
community.  This is an opportunity to do that for teaching.  Just share
one idea.
  Try it, you'll like it.  And the rest of us will appreciate it.
  See ya soon.  Don't forget your poster.
                               Jerry
Jerry Evensky
Syracuse University