From:
[log in to unmask] (Yukihiro Ikeda)
Date:
Dear Friends,

J. M. Keynes introduced the following episode in "The End of Laissez-Faire".

"'Que faut-il pour vous aider?' asked Colbert,
'Nous laisser faire', answered Legendre."

(JMK, vol. IX, p. 278. n. 1.)

As far as I know, there is nothing wrong with this usage in French in the above
anecdote.Of course, it is another problem whether we can justify a tendency to use this
form instead of "laissez failre".

Keynes mentioned the following well-known pamphlet by August Oncken, but I do not know
whether or not his German was good enough to follow the details of the
pamphlet:

August Oncken, Die Maxime Laissez faire et laissez passer.

Interestingly enough, the title uses the form "laissez faire".And it seems to me that
Keynes mainly used the form "laissez-faire" in "The End of Laissez-Faire", including the
title. I did not check his usage in other papers and monographs.

Yukihiro Ikeda