Date:
Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:34:38 +0100
And it is worth pointing out following Roger's post that these 'rules' are highly discipline specific (and such differences are endorsed by government agencies that review academic performance).  The 'rules' for economics are very different from those for history or for sociology.  The moral then for younger scholars is to make sure you know your own discipline's rules for traditional publications, but this does not preclude the use of internet publication spaces that allow greater freedom.

Mary Morgan

Professor Mary S. Morgan
LSE and University of Amsterdam
http://www2.lse.ac.uk/economicHistory/Research/facts/Home.aspx