From:
[log in to unmask] (Phil Ruder)
Date:
Mary

I am not aware of the commonness ot the usage of "coercion" by economic
theorists to which you refer.  I suspect that the usage you justifiably
criticize appears more commonly in documents authored by conservative think
tanks than in economic journals.  The former are usually quite distinct from
economic theory -- "economic polemics" might be the better term.

Phil Ruder

On Sun, 14 May 1995 [log in to unmask] wrote:

> When did "coercion" become commonly used by economists to mean
> virtually everything the government does?  I note several possible
> substitute words that could be chosen:  constrain, compel, oblige,
> force -- why coerce?  Coerce is a very narrow, very STRONG term.
>      -- Mary Schweitzer, Dept. of History, Villanova

|       Phil Ruder                                                      |
|       Dept. of Bus. and Economics     [log in to unmask]            |
|       Pacific University              (vox)  503-357-6151             |
|       Forest Grove, OR                (fax)  503-359-2242             |