From:
[log in to unmask] (Jean rosio)
Date:
Grenoble - Vizille ( FRANCE)
1995 September 14-15-16

INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE : James STEUART in 1995

One of the major debates in the History of Economic Thought occurred at the
end of the XVIIIth. century between supporters who accepted State
intervention in economic affairs as normal, and those who, on the=A0contrary=
,
pinned their faith in liberalism. Both currents of thought now structure
Economics. As a general rule, the=A0work of Adam Smith is evoked as the
illustration of liberalism. The source of the=A0other approach is to be=
 found
in the writings of James Steuart.
Steuart=92s writings occupies a special position in the history of Political
Economy. The very title of his major work : An Inquiry into the Principles
of Political Oeconomy heralds later works. Before being eclipsed by=A0Smith,
his later influence on economic thought, at the end of the XVIIIth. century
and at the beginning of the=A0XIXth., was far from negligible.
Though Steuart=92s works have been relatively forgotten, there has been an
effort to revive them since the Second World War. They seem to vehicle
another reading of Political Economy. The objective of this conference is
to=A0assess this possibility.

Scientific Committee :

Arnaud BERTHOUD Univ. de Lille I, Henri DENIS Univ. de Paris I, Daniel
DIATKINE Univ. d'Evry - Val d'Essonne, Ragip EGE Univ. de Strasbourg I,
Roger FRYDMAN Univ. de Paris X, Andr=E9 LAPIDUS Univ. de Paris I, Jean ROSIO
Univ. d'Aix-Marseille II, Andrew S. SKINNER Univ. de Glasgow, Paulette TAIEB
Univ. de Paris I, Ramon TORTAJADA Univ. de Grenoble II.

36 papers selected

First Day :
James STEUART et son temps
March=E9, prix, profit

Second Day :
M=E9thodologie & doctrines
Economie, Etat & soci=E9t=E9
Banques & Monnaie

Third Day :
Diffusion et Influence

For further information :

C.E.P.E. - Steuart , U.F.R. Sciences Economiques
Universit=E9 Pierre Mend=E8s-France  BP 47 X
38040 Grenoble Cedex 9 - France
Tel. : (33) 76 82 55 96  -  Fax  : (33) 76 82 59 95

E.mail : [log in to unmask]

Jean ROSIO - E-Mail : [log in to unmask]
UNIVERSITE DE LA MEDITERRANNEE (AIX-MARSEILLE II)
UFR Sc. Economiques - G.R.E.Q.A.M. UMR CNRS 9990
Adr. prof. : 2, rue de la Charite, 13002 MARSEILLE
Adr. pers. : Traverse de Sceaux, 83470 ST-MAXIMIN
Tel & Fax : (33) 94 59 89 71
Horaire Fax : 09:00-10:00 & 15:00-16:00