From:
"John D. Evans" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 15:40:25 -0400
On a recent trip to Beijing, I was stopped on a street corner by a stranger
who, I presume, wanted to practice his conversational English on an American
tourist.  In a few short sentences, we established a common bond--an
interest in Mark Twain.  This gentleman informed me that he was a teacher of
English at one of the universities in China and that he had done his thesis
on Twain.  I am posting this with the forum, not only to share the universal
appeal of Twain (and perhaps a remarkable coincidence as well), but to beg
the forum's indulgence for a personal ad:

    To the gentleman who stopped an American tourist while walking along
Dong Hua Men Dajie on the evening of Saturday, June 5.  If you are a member
of the Mark Twain Forum, or a frequent visitor here, please email me.  I'd
be interested in continuing our dialogue.

Once again, I apologize for what may be a misuse of the forum, but this is
the only way I can think of to reestablish contact.

Thank you,

John Evans