From:
Alan Kitty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2018 10:58:48 -0500
It is flat out wrong to draw overarching conclusions about Twain’s feelings. If any of Twain’s themes could jump out of a book and strangle you for a one-sides view of Twain’s intentions, it would probably be the duality of human nature. I have concluded that Twain was a complicated person with conflicting views on many topics. His views were, like those of any thinking person, modified through time, experience and circumstance.

Twain recognized racism as a natural state of mind - an extension of tribalism. His distaste for things like French morality, and lasting prejudice against Native Americans are oft-cited examples. Societies may legislate against it, Media often exposes it, schools educate about it, and groups are frequently formed to ostracize those who express it. Yet all attempts remain as effective at eliminating it as Olivia’s efforts to curtail Sam’s smoking habit.

Alan Kitty

Sent from my iPhone