From:
Hal Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:56:04 -0600
Greetings, fellow sojourners;

Does anyone know of good readings of MT's burlesque of "The Battle Hymn of
the Republic" that you would recommend?

Also, more generally, are there good critical and/or historical accounts of
the ideological (and especially religious) content of Julia Ward Howe's
original song lyrics, which I believe were first published in the Atlantic
smack dab in the middle of the war (I think 1862)?  The kind of piece I am
looking for would be like material in Ernest Tuveson, REDEEMER NATION, or in
John Moorhead, AMERICAN APOCALYPSE.  I believe Tuveson's piece (though now
about 40 years old) is the best thing I know on Howe's lyrics, though by now
something else must have come out.

Tuveson, by the way, has wonderful stuff on Conn. Yankee.  REDEEMER NATION
is an old chestnut that still rings true.

(PS-- considering my question, see the wonderful quote by Waldo below.)

Thanks,

Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Saint Louis University