From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2016 10:02:16 -0700
Thanks to the generosity of both the Elmira College Archives and Kevin
Mac Donnell  I've been allowed to include a number of photographs from
the book "Overland with Mark Twain".  I'm inviting everyone to go on an
Easter Egg hunt.  There are 30 (I think) photos from the book scattered
throughout the course site - always in appropriate spots.  The site is
http://twainsgeography.com/  and in order to navigate, log in as
"guest" with password "guest".  See the "User" menu tab along the top.
 There are menu options for all of Twain's travel books but they
contain only stub sites.  It's the option for "North American Tour of
1895" that's of interest here.

My project is not so much about Mark Twain but about the socio-economic
condition of the country along his route, "Historical Geography" if you
will.  I started the project as an attempt to map his route using
Google Earth.  This resulted in a series of videos some of you may have
seen.  They're all available on Youtube.  While researching for these
videos I became very interested in what was happening in those places
at that time.

The project is now made up of six sections:  Elmira to Cleveland; The
Great Lakes;  Across the Prairie;  The Rockies;  From the Rockies and
Over the Cascades; and, The Pacific Northwest.

Each of these sections has a number of sub-topics and links to
geographic sites.  There are interactive maps throughout.  I still have
a great deal of editing to do as well as a lot of writing.  What I'm
hoping for at this point is finding material to include, unpublished
(or published) essays, links to sites with related material, etc.
 Again, I'm interested in the areas along the route and in a time frame
close to 1895.  Already there is material on natural disasters, man
-made disasters, economic highs and lows.  I'm not so much interested
in what was happening with Samuel Clemens, that is extensively covered
elsewhere.  Mark Twain acts only as a touchstone along the way with
Major Pond acting as my Virgil.

So please take a look.  Use the "Contact" menu option if you'd care to
make comments.  Thanks, Scott

--
 There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of
                          in your philosophy.