Date:
Tue, 25 Aug 2009 23:22:12 -0700
My guess is the list could be long.  I already thought of what he loved to
smoke, but think we'll forgo that detail.

This dinner was inspired when some friends and I went to a play at the
Consumnes College River Stage:  T.R. and Twain: Luncheon at the White
House.  By
Frank Denson and Alan Freeman, directed by Frank Condon.

It was staged as a reading with  cast representing those who attended an
actual luncheon at the White House are some time. Among the guests were
Henry Pinkney, John Temple Graves, Charles Joseph Bonaparte and William
Moody.  Mrs. Roosevelt and Alice were included.  The play had been through
workshops and our audience was invited to comment after the performance.   I
was impressed.

At the intermission, I noticed a fellow with longish white hair and boldly
approached him to ask if he'd ever acted as Mark Twain.   He had!
Only briefly, a couple of 8 minute sketches in a local theater.  So I asked
if he'd do it for me and my friends if we provided a Very Good Dinner.  He
agreed.
That is how it all began.  But we'll dine at a restored Victorian and eat
food largely prepared by a gifted former caterer who is one of our party.
There will be
eight of us.  All of us have an interest in Mark Twain so are
having a good time preparing for this event.

If you have a chance to see the play, I recommend it.  The
drama worked in spite of no costumes, and no sets.  The actors were fine.

Arianne Laidlaw