From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2019 13:24:50 -0600
I agree with Taylor that Leary’s memoir as told to Mary Lawton is an
extremely valuable contribution to Twain studies.  I use a digitized copy
of this book for word searching to overcome the lack of an index. I do have
an entry for Mary Lawton in my online Memorial Roster of Twain writers,
editors, and scholars. She was born July 21, 1869 in Ware, Massachusetts
and died January 21, 1945 in Orangeburg, NY. She studied at the American
Academy of Dramatic Arts.  Her other books included _Schumann-Heink, the
Last of the Titans_ (1928) and _The Paderewski Memoirs_ (1938).

I have not seen the new edition of Lawton’s book but would hope that it
features all the illustrations of the original.

Barb