From:
Date:
Fri, 3 Feb 2017 16:12:16 -0500

From: Mark Twain Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Kevin Mac Donnell
Sent: Friday, February 3, 2017 2:25 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Is there a general consensus as to Twain's best full-length works?

*************************

You may browse our books at:

 <http://www.macdonnellrarebooks.com> www.macdonnellrarebooks.com

-----Original Message-----

From: Alan Kitty

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2017 12:42 PM

To:  <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]

It's just a start, but how about ranking by era, age, gender, religious and p= olitical tendencies, region, nationality and dietary habits of critic? And f= or Heaven's sake, don't leave out earnings from Sales.  Without those, most o= f those titles might not exist, and only a few descendants would have heard o= f our Mark. But perhaps "NO" will suffice after all.=20

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 3, 2017, at 12:55 PM, Clay Shannon < <mailto:[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask]> wrote:

>=20

> I know the short answer to this is "No," but I'm hoping for a more

>nuanced=

=3D

> answer or two; is there a consensus about which Twain works, when

> limited t=

=3D

> o=3DC2=3DA0full-length "books" (novels and nonfiction focusing on one

> main=

subj=3D

> ect/theme) are considered his best works?

> The list I'm thinking of would include the following, in chronological

> ord=

e=3D

> r:

> The Innocents Abroad (1869), travel

> Roughing It (1872), travel

> The Gilded Age: A Tale of Today (1873) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

> (1876) A Tramp Abroad (1880), travel The Prince and the Pauper (1881)

> Life on the Mississippi (1883), travel Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

> (1884) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court (1889) The American

> Claimant (1892) Pudd'nhead Wilson (1894) Tom Sawyer Abroad (1894)

> Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc (1896) Tom Sawyer, Detective

> (1896) Following the Equator (sometimes titled "More Tramps Abroad")

> (1897), trav=

e=3D

> I would personally place them in this ranking:

> Roughing It

> The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

> The Innocents Abroad

> The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

> Life on the Mississippi

> A Tramp Abroad

> Following the Equator

> A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court The Gilded Age: A Tale of

> Today The Prince and the Pauper The American Claimant Pudd'nhead

> Wilson Tom Sawyer Abroad Tom Sawyer, Detective Personal Recollections

> of Joan of Arc ...but wonder if there is a consensus as to ranking (by

> critics/scholars, e=

=3D

> tc.), or at least as to popularity (appreciation by the water-imbibing

> pub=

l=3D