From:
Robert Hirst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 May 1999 13:45:30 -0700
Mr. Kelly,
Barb's right, there's nothing in the database under the headings she tried.
But there is a letter dated 4 June 1876, record no. 01342, which reads in
its entirety: "I am a long time answering your letter, my dear Miss
Harriet, but then you must remember that it is an equally long time since I
received it--so that makes us even, & nobody to blame on either side." The
original is now at Virginia. We don't know who the Harriet addressed is,
but if I'd received a letter like that, I'd frame it and hang it on the
wall too.

Where does Harriet Lane Levy recount receiving this letter?

Bob Hirst
General Editor, Mark Twain Project