From:
Taylor Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Mar 1994 11:29:08 -0800
     This morning I returned the Mark Twain Forum to its original,
unmoderated format, for two reasons:

1.   my own e-mail account is on a different system from LISTSERV, and
     it was not possible to moderate the list from my account without
     destroying information in the original senders' message headers

2.   many subscribers told me after the change that they preferred the
     unmoderated format for its speed in distributing mail, despite the
     fact that irrelevant messages are sometimes posted

     In the two weeks or so since the list was changed to a moderated
format, there were two administrative (non-Twainian) messages from new
e-mailers that otherwise would've been distributed to the list.  It is
hoped that many of these messages can be stopped in the future by my
having changed the value for the "send" keyword to "private" (it was
formerly "public").  This means that henceforth only list subscribers
can post to the MT Forum; non-subscribers who try to post a message to
TWAIN-L will have their mail rejected by LISTSERV with an explanation
to contact me.

     I suspect that one or two subscribers who try to post mail to the
Forum in the future may get such a rejection message if their original
subscription address differs from their current e-mail address.  If you
receive such a message when you try to post to the list, please send a
note directly to me and I'll gladly help to fix the problem.  If you
want full instructions for the Mark Twain Forum, send a message to
either <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]> containing
the single line:

GET SURVIVAL GUIDE TWAIN-L

Please be careful to send this command to LISTSERV, not to TWAIN-L.

     Thank you for your patience while the list was being moderated, and
thanks especially to the MT Forum's technical advisor, Rick Broadhead,
for silently, happily, and expertly moderating the list for us during
the last two weeks.

Taylor Roberts
University of British Columbia