From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 11:06:34 -0400
I needed to be sure of some facts this morning as I worked on "Old Times on
the Mississippi," and I turned instinctively  to Everett Emerson's _Mark
Twain:  A Literary Life_.  I can always count on his work to be solid,
correct, and to lead me to where I need to go.

I am sorry to hear of Everett's passing, but happy that his fine work is
still with us.  Along with Lou Budd, Everett was a co-founder of the Mark
Twain Circle of America, which is another lasting legacy.  All of us who are
interested in Mark Twain owe him a huge debt of gratitude.