From:
Matthew Seybold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Aug 2020 12:44:37 -0400
Thanks, Hal. In the spirit of your inquiry, I want to reiterate that my own
embrace of presentism is recent and, I'll admit, still emergent and
unsettled. I'm part of a keyword seminar at the upcoming C19 conference in
which I am actually taking a contrarian position, arguing the ways in which
presentism has been detrimental to economics as a discipline.

Here's a quick and, I think, helpful definition from the V21 Collective:

"One outcome of post-historicist interpretation may be a new openness to
*presentism*: an awareness that our interest in the period is motivated by
certain features of our own moment. In finance, resource mining,
globalization, imperialism, liberalism, and many other vectors, we
*are* Victorian,
inhabiting, advancing, and resisting the world they made. The aesthetic
forms the Victorians pioneered and perfected continue to dominate popular
and avant-garde cultural production. The conceptual problems, political
quandaries, and theoretical issues they broached remain pressing and
contentious. A survey of the Victorian period is a survey of empire, war,
and ecological destruction. Insofar as the world we inhabit bears the
traces of the nineteenth century, these traces are to be found not only in
serial multiplot narrative, but in income inequality, global warming, and
neoliberalism. Presentism is not a sin, but nor are all forms of presentism
equally valuable. The variations of and alternatives to presentism as such
have not yet been adequately described or theorized." (full manifesto here:
http://v21collective.org/manifesto-of-the-v21-collective-ten-theses/)

Anna Kornbluh has, more recently, advocated for "strategic presentism" in a
special issue of *Victorian Studies. *I recommend this issue because it
includes perspectives on presentism from several Victorian scholars (
https://muse.jhu.edu/issue/35929). Here's a good pull quote from Anna's
piece:

"Victorian presentism refracted as strategic presentism in Victorian
studies pressingly opposes significant academic trends in our own
present—trendy demands that literary scholars ought to renounce the very
project of critical intervention, resign the very enterprise of critically
engaging with formations of the political, and aim instead for scientific
accuracy, stockpiled information, big data, MRIs, facts. Strategic
presentism opposes these tendencies in favor of dynamizing in the past that
which is decidedly urgent today: Gissing’s presentism of space, spatial
thinking, thinking of adjacency and extent, thinking of generality,
systematicity, and abstraction. Such thinking must be governed by two
simultaneous principles: illuminating Victorian structures that
overdetermine contemporary experience—financial capitalism, virulent
patriarchy, violent racism, rapacious imperialism—and projectively mapping
other structures, other spaces.*"*

*Finally, *most directly in our wheelhouse is Jeff Insko's recent
book, *History,
Abolition, & The Ever-Present Now *(Oxford UP, 2019), which, ingeniously,
makes a historicist argument that the values of historicism are
themselves anachronistic, looking particularly at how many of the most
canonical authors of the American Renaissance viewed history as even
anti-contextual, as only useful through the lens of the present and the
subjectivities of the living. I don't want to say too much about my own,
still evolving essay, but since reading Jeff's book, I have increasingly
felt that Twain shares this conception of presentism.

Best,

MS

--
Matt Seybold
Assistant Professor of American Literature & Mark Twain Studies
Elmira College
Editor, MarkTwainStudies.org
MattSeybold.com