From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 May 2010 10:05:59 -0500
We now seem to have four correct answers, and since Bob Hirst got two of
them and the other two were split between Kerry Driscoll and Barb Schmidt,
that makes Bob the winner, and his book hits the mail tomorrow.

Sharon McCoy raises a good point about the 1853 letter home from NY (it
reads like a rehearsal or rough draft for Pap Finn's rant about the
well-dressed black gentleman carrying the silver-headed cane --who can even
vote!). But I had in mind a piece of writing (letter or otherwise) that
Twain wrote with the intention of publication. I'm not sure the letter home
to his family fits that profile. Or does it?

On a slightly different note, a sort of follow-up to question #4...  I don't
know about other Twainians, but I wince whenever I run across Twain using
the n-word in his post-1885 letters or writings. The use of the word in HF
has been repeatedly debated, with the consensus view being that he used the
word in context or else with intended and effective irony, and it has even
been eloquently defended by black commentators. But Twain's own non-literary
use of the word later on makes clear he was not the color-blind pure-hearted
post-racial saint that some would like to imagine. Even when he doesn't
actually use the word, Twain's own racism shines through, as in his comment
that he was the laziest white man that he knew. His 1907 comment to Dorothy
Quick isn't a hateful use of the term, but it surely isn't benign either.
And his 1902 comment about black cigar-makers in Cuba licking cigars during
their manufacture and possibly spreading diseases is offensive, even if
biologically accurate (would Twain have bothered to make the comment had
they been white?). For his era, Twain was as progressive in his racial views
as anyone (but not more so, I'd suggest), but has anyone closely catalogued
his post-1885 comments on race, his use of the n-word in private letters
after 1885, and published a study of his racial attitudes focusing on this
period?

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books