From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2016 00:56:49 +0000
"Crossed Swords" is not bad, a 70s take on "The Prince and the Pauper" chock full of "big names" such as Heston, Welch, Borgnine, etc. Otherwise, I've watched everything available, and they are all disappointing, or even maddening.
At least as good (perhaps partly because it's based on a better book) is James Garner's "Roughing It"
If/when anybody makes a faithful version of "Huck" - not tailored to kids - it will make cinematic history. I'm not holding my breath, though, nor am I for a version of "The Magic Mountain" (Thomas Mann's novel) which could be a multi-Oscar masterpiece if done right.
A biopic or dramatic mini series of Twain's life could be great, too. Ken Burns' documentary is quite good, but it is not that. Really, to do justice to Twain's life, a series of biopics would be needed:
1) Boyhood to Civil War2) Roughing It years3) Innocents Abroad and courtship4) Hartford years5) European exile years6) Business failures and around-the-world tour, to Susy's death7) Final years - Livy's death, anti-imperialist and other essays, Bermuda, autobiography, Jean's death, his own death - B. Clay Shannon