From:
"ALAN C. REESE" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1993 12:21:27 -0500
"Why is Clemens' sexuality a focus of so much scholarly...interest?"

I think, and here I agree with Hoffman, the climate of the time permits
such issues to be deemed fair ground, indeed almost invite such exploratory
examination. Look at how we scrutinize political candidates. The need to
know
everything overrides common sense. Does the fact a man wears boxer shorts or
briefs really reflect on his ability to lead a nation? Does the fact that a
person prefers one sexual position over another reflect on that person's
ability to write poetry or the subjects he/she chooses? MAYBE, but I am
more interested in the textual than the sexual nature of written work.
This interest in the sexuality of Twain shows a lack of imagination on the
part of newer scholars to the field. Left to pick the bones of the subject
and faced with years of arduous research, they jump on the first sensational
tidbit, implication, innuendo that rolls their way. Like Wilde says," The
only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about."