From:
David H Fears <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Dec 2007 14:13:57 EST

In a message dated 12/12/2007 4:23:12 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Dear Mr.  Fears:

I may be an avid reader but only a very occasional poster here  and
more than a few years out from the structured study of novels,  but I
do know a sweeping generalization when it attempts to sneak  by!

Many facets of our society value teachers quite highly and pay  them
relatively well. From private secondary schools to many  universities,

Dear Benjamin,

You may call my claim a "sweeping generalization" but I call it OPINION,
and
one based on my observations of and participation in education for the  past
40 years. I stand by my opinion (a subjective one not fully provable by
facts
alone) that teachers in our society are undervalued. But, I want to add
that
such valuation is *relative*. Relative to many other occupations. Your
analogy about the ditch brought with it here a humorous scene of backed up
pipes
in a house, where the householder hollers, "Quick! Call an educator! The
toilet's overflowing!"

Well, such analogies often break down this side of ridiculous. But, to the
point, if the future of our society rests in our children, should not those
who
 guide them be among the highest paid servants? Is fostering the ability to
think  so unimportant? An educated populace is vital to preserve and renew
democracy.  Does government have a direct interest in the education of its
people?  Should not the education of our young be among our highest  values?
Should
administrators earn more than teachers on the front lines?  Closer to home
here on this Twain Forum, should the study of literature, a  relatively new
discipline, take priority over the teaching of composition and  rhetoric?
Why is
it that the latter is the red-headed stepchild of most  university English
departments, while the former is often shifted to TA's and  others?  This is
not
to dismiss the study of literature, just as a concern  over the *relative*
underpayment for teachers over plumbers does not dismiss the  value of
plumbers.

Now I hope you understand, for there are members here who find my posts
"irritating" and one or two have even emailed me to let me know. Perhaps
they
prefer a sleepy forum with an occasional book review, references to
conferences,
the supposed motivations of fictional characters, and long periods of radio
silence. I don't always post here seeking answers or discussion, and I've
often  thought a message-board format might be more productive. So, thank
you for
responding, at least, since you've confessed to being a long-time lurker.

David H Fears