From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2017 18:09:42 -0500
Here's Frank Rich's additional commentary on the
issue. I think he nails it.  As most of you
probably know but perhaps not all, Rich was NY
Times theater critic for many years (and is a
fanatical theater buff) but has since gone on to
be a cultural and political columnist, first for
the Times and currently for New York Magazine.

"I am on record as having had mixed feelings about
the musical "Big River," which I described as "a
mixture of the modestly engaging and the tolerably
bland" when it first opened on Broadway in 1985. I
have not seen the Encores revival running this
weekend but, really, the last half of the Times
review, which questions the wisdom of producing a
show that is nothing if not faithful to "The
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn," is the kind of
politically correct dogma that liberals too should
find embarrassing, particularly in these Trump
times. Yes, Mark Twain has always been "ill-timed"
and an "awkward fit" for smug and humorless
Americans. That's the whole point."

Steve Hoffman, Takoma Park