From:
Kathy O'Connell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Sep 1998 11:41:41 EDT
I suppose the distinction between a comic and a humorist—and why, on one
level, the choice of Pryor makes brilliant sense (though I think were he
still performing, he wouldn't have been selected)—is that the former
simply makes
people laugh while the latter makes them laugh and think at the same time.
Both Clemens and Pryor did this amazingly, often provocatively, well. They
also refused to be patronized by the hypocrites at whom they took such
dead-on
aim no matter how famous they became.

My first choice for the award would have been Russell Baker, but undoubtedly
the gang at the Kennedy Center has to keep an eye out for ratings, which
means
(another sad explanation) they've got to tailor the awards to a generation
that does not read very much but who would certainly know who Richard Pryor
is.

If Chuck Jones, who was inspired to create Wile E. Coyote out of his love
for
ROUGHING IT, is not next year's recipient, there is no justice in the world.

Kathy O'Connell
Hartford Advocate