From:
Alex Effgen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:10:40 -0400
Hi Camy:

I think the price for that lecture series might be too steep. Consider:

In an era of repressed feminine gender roles (to which both Sam and
Livy subscribed) they also seemed intent to deny their three children
inevitable adulthood. Susy failed in college and floundered in vocal
performance, only to die and leave the role of mediocre singer to
middle child Clara, who lived up to no one's expectations, married
late, and kept her lone pregnancy from her father (as mentioned on
this forum). Jean spent her childhood in Hartford luxury, only to
spend her teenage years an exile who suffered from fits that
eventually took her life in a bathtub.

I'll stick with my copy of Hal Holbrook's Mark Twain Tonight and my
own, less tragic, existence.

Speaking of Holbrook, is anyone going to see him in New Jersey in
November?  I'm on the fence of attending, given my distance from the
venue and its date (a Friday). I hope to catch him live while I still
can. All his other shows are out west. You think he'd allow audio
(dare I ask video) recording? The variations in his performance
should be kept for posterity.

Speaking of Twain's children, question: does anyone know what
happened to Susy's belongings after she died?  Susy died in Hartford
away from her family.  Livy and Clara arrived too late while SLC took
a home in England.  Did they bring her things back?  Burn them?  I'm
not trying to be morbid, just resolve a question I'm trying to figure
out, namely: what happened to the letters sent to her by Louise
Brownell.

Thanks!
Alex