From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Sep 2001 10:28:07 -0500
Chaucer, Milton, and DeFoe all used the word in one form or another, so
reports of Twain's birthing this word are an exaggeration.

The newspaper reports on Lowell's work used the word, which obviously amused
Twain and inspired the writing of this short piece where he uses the word
over and over and over, the way an adolescent boy might get hold of the word
"masticate" and then go on and on about masticating at the family dinner
table, at school during lunch, with the girl next door, watching his
grandmother do it at church, and so on. Twain was being a bit obvious. If
you really want to see a devious (and smutty) wordsmith at work reed (or
reread) Melville's TYPEE or MOBY-DICK.

But I'm sure Twain was innocent of any "smutty" intent. The author of 1601
and Onanism just didn't think that way, now did he?

For myself, I'm certain that perturbation still takes place in outer space,
in the White House, and even on this listserv.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive