From:
Tracy Wuster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2016 14:56:30 -0600
CFPs for AHSA sessions at ALA 2017.

I propose three panels: 1) Dirty Words: Profanity, Power, and American
Humor; 2) Open Topic; and 3) Humor and Travel (in collaboration with
the Society for American Travel Writing).

1)

The American Humor Studies Association seeks abstracts for a session
titled “Dirty Words: Profanity, Power, and American Humor” for the
American Literature Association annual conference in Boston,
Massachusetts, May 25-28, 2017.

AHSA welcomes submissions that explore any facet of profanity as a
rhetorical force in American humor.  Abstracts may propose focused
analyses of specific texts from any time frame or medium as well as
theoretical considerations of profanity as tied to literary,
linguistic, and/or comedic form and structure. Potential participants
should feel free to blur distinctions between literary humor and
popular culture as they examine the power of profanity to subvert
normal structures and expectations.

Please email a brief CV and 300-word abstract (and please indicate any
audio/visual needs) by 10 January 2017 to Jeffrey Melton
([log in to unmask]) using “Dirty Words Panel” as the subject line. All
panelists will need to be current members of AHSA.

2)

The American Humor Studies Association seeks abstracts for an
open-topic session for the American Literature Association annual
conference in Boston, Massachusetts, May 25-28, 2017.

AHSA encourages submissions on any topic related to American humor for
this session.

Please email a brief CV and 300-word abstract (and please indicate any
audio/visual needs) by 10 January 2017 to Jeffrey Melton
([log in to unmask]) using “Open Topic Panel” as the subject line. All
panelists will need to be current members of AHSA.

3)

“I just flew in from Miami Beach, and, boy, are my arms tired.”

The American Humor Studies Association and The Society for the Study
of American Travel Writing seek abstracts for a collaborative session
on “Humor and Travel” for the American Literature Association annual
conference in Boston, Massachusetts, May 25-28, 2017.

We welcome papers focusing on individual authors/travelers from any
time period as well as conceptual or theoretical discussions that
consider the intersections between travel experiences and expressions
of humor.

Proposals might consider the following questions:

How do the often destabilizing effects of travel elicit humor as a response?

How are travel or tourism targets of humor?

What are the rhetorical effects of humor on telling the travel story?

Please email a brief CV and 300-word abstract (and please indicate any
audio/visual needs) by 15 December 2016 to Jeffrey Melton
([log in to unmask]) or Susan Roberson ([log in to unmask]) using
“Humor and Travel” as the subject line.  Scholars of American humor,
American travel writing and practicing travel writers are particularly
encouraged to submit proposals. All panelists will need to be current
members of AHSA or SSATW.