Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:20:07 -0400
I'm thinking Twain might not have appreciated having his named on a book
about Lake TAHOE, since he preferred (at least in the days when he lived in
that region) to call it Lake Bigler. His dissatisfaction with Tahoe rested
mainly with the fact that it was the Indian name, and he thought it sounded
terrible, whereas Bigler had the advantage of sounding "Christian" and/or
"English." It seems to me he also wrote somewhere -- maybe even in Roughing
It -- that despite claims that Tahoe meant "fallen leaf" in the Indian
tongue, it really meant something low and trivial, like maybe "stinkbug." Or
maybe I just imagined that detail.

-- Bob G.