From:
Loren Ghiglione <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Oct 2011 02:26:23 +0000
Dear Forum members:
Two students and I are two weeks into a three-month, 12,000-mile drive around the United States as part of a book, web and documentary project called "Traveling with Twain in Search of America's Identity" (our website is travelingwithtwain.org).  The trip will end in Seattle in December.  William H. Hadley, a family friend, provided me with a clipping from a Frank Lynch column in the January 3, 1957, Seattle Post-Intelligencer.  The column is titled "The Cub Reporter and Mark Twain Unsuited."  The column includes an account by Ray O. Hadley, William Hadley's father, of interviewing Twain, who was in the area for an appearance in 1895 at Lighthouse Hall, later "the upper stories of the Bellingham First National Bank Building."  Hadley was a cub reporter for The Blade, a local tri-weekly.  So the story goes, Hadley went to the Fairhaven Hotel to interview Twain, who was walking around in long, trap-door underwear.   Hadley asked Twain, "And what do you think of our Northwest, sir?"  Having experienced a period of fires, Twain had not seen sun, sky or tree tops.  He said, "My God, I haven't seen any of it but the ground."  Hadley raced back to The Blade to write a short article under the headline: "Mark Twain, Unsuited.  Interviewed by Blade Reporter."  Lynch ends his column about Roy Hadley: "Noting as wonderful ever happened to him again."  Is there a way to determine whether such an article ever ran in the tri-weekly Blade (by the way, it would not have had a byline)?  I have not been able to locate copies of The Blade.    Best, Loren Ghiglione