Date:
Fri, 12 Aug 1994 22:02:38 EST
Alan & Jim:

I'll try to clear things up. Forgive me if I get too basic or long
winded, but some others might be lurking who would like a full
explanation of my attempt at scholarly shorthand.

CU-Mark is the repository for this piece; it is a library symbol as
standardized by the Library of Congress in their SYMBOLS OF AMERICAN
LIBRARIES publication.  If you haven't guessed, it stands for University
of California at Berkeley, Mark Twain Project (the MTP).  The bulk of the
pieces on the microfilm are housed at Berkeley, but in the case of
photocopies that were microfilmed, I have (if the information was
available), listed their repositories as well.  The library symbols were
a way of shortening up the data print-out.

DV 068 is a "DeVoto number", meaning Bernard DeVoto who was the second
editor of the Mark Twain Papers (following Paine).  Both Paine and DeVoto
developed numbering schemes for the hundreds of pieces of literary works
that Clemens left behind in various states.  DeVoto, for his own
purposes, numbered the piece we are now calling "Burlesque of Books on
Etiquette" as DV 68.  Actually, it is a group of pieces - the one of
interest to you being "At the Baseball Game" (which likely has never been
published).  Many Mark Twain Scholars of time gone by and even today know
these pieces by the DV numbers or the Paine numbers.  Since these numbers
appear on the microfilm (many of them are handwritten across the top of
manuscript or typescript), I have included them as a reference.  Titles
may vary (many pieces are untitled), but the DV numbers remain constant.

The "See" references are not really data but included in the text.  It is
a half-hearted attempt to point the reader in the direction of a
published version of the piece under fire.  Most of my "See" references
are limited to very well know books; naturally I will be providing a
"key" for all the abbreviations.  I am following the abbreviations as
standardized at the MTP.  In this case, MTB stands for _Mark Twain a
Biography_, edited by Albert Bigelow Paine, commonly know as Paine's
Biography.  The page numbers are always the first edition (actually, all
the editions of Paine have the same pagination, I think).

I hope this clears things up.  BTW, if you have a copy of MTB, you have
already seen that while several of the pieces in DV 68 do appear on pages
705-706, the baseball piece does not.  So, how do you get your hands on
the baseball piece?  Unless someone can come up with a published version
(I don't know of one myself), you'll have to get this piece from the MTP.
One way to do that is to request Roll 38 of the MTP's microfilm.  The
piece is the 20th piece on that roll.  The request must come through a
library that corresponds with the Bancroft Library at Berkeley.  The MTP
will lend the microfilm for legitimate scholarly work.  Or -- you could
send an e-mail note to the MTP at "[log in to unmask]" and see what
can be done.

Paul Berkowitz