From:
Steve Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 2009 00:50:01 -0400
I am not a teacher or professor but merely an educated layperson devoted
to Twain and his works.

If I had one wish regarding Twain, it would be that at least half of the
teachers teaching Huck Finn to their students substitute Connecticut
Yankee instead.

AHF is great, of course, but in many respects, IMHO, Connecticut Yankee
is the Twain book most relevant to so many of society's problems today.
While ATF is mined for its confronting of race, Connecticut Yankee
confronts class -- i.e., economic injustice. It addresses grave issues
involving progress and technology, and of science vs religion.

I love AHF, but I just don't understand why it is unfailingly THE book
of Twain the average student is exposed to, while a masterpiece like
Connecticut Yankee -- which is laugh-out-loud funny page after page yet
contains the seeds for so much serious discussion about so many aspects
of Western civilization -- fails to get its due in the American classroom.

--Steve Hoffman
Takoma Park MD