From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Aug 2013 15:52:09 -0400
I am late chiming in on the success of the Seventh Quadrennial International Conference on Mark Twain Studies at Elmira College a few weeks ago. I have now been to all seven, and it does seem that it just gets better and better. When I introduced the Hal Holbrook documentary, I asked how many people were there for the first time, and over half the people raised their hands. I was really happy to see so many new folks, as well as to renew old friendships. The Cigar Ritual at the end was lively and moving, with raucous but heartfelt group singing, heavy on spirituals and camp songs. Fitting for what Tracy Wuster calls “Mark Twain Summer Camp.” I look forward to the next one. Hats off to Barb Snedecor and her crew! As Bruce Michelson said when he won the Louis J. Budd Certificate of Merit from the Mark Twain Circle of America, we certainly must have the most congenial author group on the planet!
John Bird