From:
Mary Boewe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2013 20:49:36 -0500
Jean Webster’s eight novels, which mostly focus on adolescent girls, continue to enjoy a wide readership among people in Japan and South Korea, much like ANNE OF GREEN GABLES. As a result, Yuki Sato, Culture Editor at Tokyo’s MAINICHI SHIMBUN, has been working for some time on a Webster biography, for which she has done research at the MTP in Berkeley,  the Vassar College archives, and elsewhere. Though her book probably will be published in Japanese, she also writes in English as may be seen in this article: http://www.hartford-hwp.com/archives/55a/404.html Her email address is: [log in to unmask]

 Meanwhile, in addition to a fairly substantial Wikipedia piece, there is a privately printed book length biography by Alan Simpson who, when he retired from Vassar’s presidency, sequestered the Jean Webster collection there until he finished this book.

Jean Webster was one of the guests at mark Twain’s 70th birthday party, where she is pictured in one of the plates published in Harper & Brothers’ Souvenir of that occasion.

Mary Boewe