From:
Jim Zwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 10:14:30 -0500
Larry,

I agree with your assessment.  There are only two more positive
statements that I'm aware of, both of which were influenced by his
opposition to imperialism. The first is in "The Dervish and the
Offensive Stranger" where he contrasts the views of a "White Chief"
and an "Indian Chief" on "civilization" -- specifically, the damming of a
river which feeds one and starves the other.

The other statement is in a Baltimore News account of his May 9,
1907, response to the mention of estates granted to settlers in
Maryland:

"It makes my blood boil," said the humorist, "to think of the titled
robbers of Europe who could give a man a piece of paper granting
him vast estates not yet stolen from their real owners, but just about to
be stolen. Think of Calvert in Maryland, Penn in Pennsylvania, and
the rest--free-booters of the worst type--coming into a country, with no
right but the right of superior force, and daring to claim possession of
whole States!"

He continues with a discussion of German and British activities in
southern Africa and the U.S. purchase of the Philippines from Spain.
This is online at:

The Stupendous Joke of the Century
http://www.boondocksnet.com/ai/twain/mtws_stupendous_joke.html

Is anyone aware of other statements like that criticizing European
settlement of North America or acknowledging Indians as the "real
owners"?

Jim Zwick