From:
Jerry Kuntz - RCLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 2015 19:40:41 -0500
I'm currently researching the career of Ernest Morris, who gained fame in
the late 1870s and early 1880s as the "boy naturalist" or "boy explorer."
Between 1875 and 1884, Morris made 7 trips to the Amazon Basin and British
Guiana, collecting orchids for clients and writing travelogues as a special
correspondent for the New York World.

 However, his first journey took place in 1874, when he was 18. He built a
long canoe and took it from Indianapolis, down the White River, Wabash
River, Ohio, and down the Mississippi to New Orleans (and then along the
Gulf Coast to Cedar Key, Florida.)

 This feat was publicized that year in Indianapolis newspapers only, but
after Morris set off for his first Amazon trip in 1875, the account of his
previous Mississippi journey appeared in many national newspapers, along
with many praises of Morris epitomizing the "plucky" national character.

 I realize that Twain had a wealth of experience growing up and working on
the river, but the timing of the publicity surrounding the voyage of young
Morris has me wondering...is it possible that the story helped inspire the
central motif of Huck Finn?

 Jerry Kuntz
Warwick NY
[log in to unmask] / [log in to unmask]