From:
randy abel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 04:25:53 -0800
Please allow me to express my condolences to those closest to Jim Zwick.
Having been edified and inspired by his scholarship for more than a decade,
I was privileged,as well in recent months to have benefited (like many on
this list, I'm sure) from advice and encouragement he generously and
copiously provided via email exchanges. He has indeed left us an invaluable
legacy.

  Mr Walker,
  I think that the excerpt from Professor Zwick's new book at
http://www.jimzwick.net/confronting_imperialism.html would be an accessible
starting point for your students, as it is especially relevant in the
current climate.

  An excellent primary Twain resource meeting your needs would certainly be
"The Dervish and the Offensive Stranger," from Mark Twain, A Pen Warmed-Up
in Hell -- Mark Twain in Protest (Perennial Library, Harper & Row). It's
available online here:
  http://quanta-gaia.org/MarkTwain/dervish.html

  Regards,

  Randy Abel